Saturday 15 March 2014

Saturday Morning Cartoons - Cool Stories, Bros


Sorry, Rick And Morty. My new favourite grown-up funny picture story is called Lucas Bros. Moving Co.




Kenny and Keith Lucas write for and voice Kenny and Keef (sic) Lucas in this new segment seen on FOX's Animation Domination, airing on Saturday nights. They have a moving company (obvs) and together they get into all sorts of wacky shenanigans. It's a real hoot. And I'm not just saying that because the show seems to run on reefer. It's a genuinely funny, messed-up program!

You may recall me writing about FOX's Animation Domination last year, when it had showcased an equally messed-up segment entitled Axe Cop. This new season features Lucas Bros. Moving Co. in the opening half of the show, and another new cartoon in the latter half called Golan The Insatiable. Golan is okay - kinda okay, but not really. But I guess it's hard to follow up a show as sublime as Lucas Bros.

A lot of Lucas Bros.'s humour comes from the laid-back leads. Their voices comprise at least 50% of why this show is funny. But it also has a weirdly fantastic vision to it, with occasionally trippy and interesting animation (similar in style to another fave of mine, Superjail!), which provides hilarious contrast to the dozy dialogue.

Before we get into the cartoon, you should meet the live-action Lucas Bros. from their Comedy Central show called The Super Late Morning Show With The Lucas Bros.




To temporarily sound like my parents, I'm not a big fan of drug humour. Sorry, did you just yell out "Narc"? Okay, let me explain. I'm not talking about comedy written by drug-addled deadbeats - that's cool. In fact, it's encouraged! No, I'm referring to entertainment that features the glorification of drug use. Rarely is it funny to me, with the exception of 2 out of 3 Harold and Kumars. But there's something sweet and nerdy to Lucas Bros. that stands out. They make sparking up a spliff seem absolutely charming!

Why not toke take in in an episode for yourself and let me know what you think? Click on the pictures to watch. Do not pass. But don't puff either, kids. Stay in school. You could be Governor General one day.

*NOTE: EPISODE 3 ('BEFORE AND AFTER MODELS') IS THE ONLY EPISODE OUT OF 6 NOT REPRESENTED HERE. THE SOURCE FOR IT WAS SKETCHY AND I DIDN'T WANT TO BE TO BLAME IF YOU ACCIDENTALLY SIGNED UP FOR A GAME INVOLVING WIZARDS. AT LEAST NOT UNTIL I FOUND OUT IF YOU WERE EVEN INTO WIZARDS.*


EPISODE 1 - 'DDT'

This observation may prove to be an excellent viewing incentive for many of my friends - The Lucas Bros. LOVE wrestling. Look at some of the posters they have up in their room. Look closely at the end credit logo of their production company. Also, this episode just happens to guest star Jake "The Snake" Roberts.




EPISODE 2 - 'A/C TUNDRA'

This observation may also prove to be an excellent viewing incentive for many of my friends - Jake "The Snake" Roberts appears in this episode too.




EPISODE 4 - 'FREEDOM TOWN'

Jake "The Snake" Roberts ALMOST appears in this episode, but proves unavailable.




EPISODE 5 - 'BEEPER BEEPER'

Finally, a TV program in the new millennium that recognizes Vampire In Brooklyn! I'm embarrassed at how quick I am to laugh at a lousy Eddie Murphy impersonation. 




EPISODE 6 - 'BIG HEAD MIKE'

This last episode (for now) also co-stars Big Snake Jake. 




Oh, snap! That's it? Well, hopefully we'll see more of this series soon. I'm assuming we will. These Bros seem pretty ambitious to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment